WimCaptEx is part of
the nativeEx_Win7 project.
In the script !ManageWims.script, WimCaptEx handles processing of
*.wim files without having a WAIK installed.
WimCaptEx_x86.exe or WimCaptEx_64.exe (depending on your host OS) as WimCaptEx.exe to the %Tools% directory.
Then it extracts and installs from the Win7 source CD:
- Mount a *.wim
WimCaptEx -A:M -W:<complete path to the *.wim> -D:<directory where to mount> -I:<image index>
- "Intelligent" mount a *.wim (see below)
WimCaptEx -A:I -W:<complete path to the *.wim> -D:<directory where to mount> -I:<image index>
- Remount a *.wim
WimCaptEx -A:R -D:<remountable directory>
- Unmount the mounted directory saving changes
WimCaptEx -A:U -D:<mounted directory> -W:<complete path to the *.wim> -I:<image index>
- Unmount the mounted directory discarding changes
WimCaptEx -A:UD -D:<mounted directory> -W:<complete path to the *.wim> -I:<image index>
- Capture a directory into a *.wim
WimCaptEx -A:C -D:<directory to capture> -W:<complete path to target *.wim> -C:<compression>
This function always creates a new *.wim, deleting an eventually existing one, and writes to image index 1.
- N >> No compression
- X >> XPRESS compression
- L >> LZW compresssion
The image is declarted as 'boot' image.
- Apply (unpack) a *.wim into a directory
WimCaptEx -A:A -W:<complete path to the *.wim> -D:<directory where to mount> -I:<image index>
- Get the status as exitcode of WimCaptEx (See below)
WimCaptEx -A:S -W:<complete path to the *.wim> -D:<directory where mounted> -I:<image index>
- Show progress:
All command lines can have an optional switch -P
That shows periods written into the console window.
Remark: When mounting, for some time (depending on the size of the
*.wim upto 1 minute) no periods appear. That is caused by windows
internal functionality that for this time the callback function is not
called. That is no bug of WimCaptEx and cannot be handled.
- Create directories:
All command lines can have an optional switch -Q
Directories are created silently, if they do not exist and
are needed for capturing into a *.wim or mounting or applying an image
into the directory.
WimCaptEx performs a mount depending on current conditions:
When the WIM / image is already mounted, do nothing.
When the WIM / image is remountable, do a remount.
When the mount directory already is the mount of a different WIM / image, unmount the current image, then mount the new one.
If none of the previous conditions matched, do a fresh mount.
The exitcode of WimCaptEx started with the -A:S action switch is one or a combination of the following flags:
If an error occurred, the exit code of WimCapEx is different from zero:
1: Error registering callback function
2: Error creating WIM file
3: Error capturing image
4: Error setting boot image index
5: Error retreiving temp path
6: Error mounting image
7: Error unmounting image
8: Wimgapi.dll, wimserv.exe and / or wimmount.sys not found
9: Path already mounted
10: Error applying image
11: Error loading image
12: Error retreiving status
13: Error freeing orphaned image
If the console window is visible, the error is shown there, including the description of the internal Windows error.
When the -P option is set, the console window remains open until you hit the 'Enter' key.
Manual installation of necessary files: (check path names!)
- Use 7z to extract from Boot.wim
!!! 7z.exe must be version 4.65 or higher !!!
- 7z e -y "-oC:\WINDOWS\System32" -r "<source CD>\sources\boot.wim" "2\Windows\System32\wimgapi.dll"
- 7z e -y "-oC:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers" -r "<source CD>\sources\boot.wim" "2\Windows\System32\drivers\wimmount.sys"
- 7z e -y "-oC:\WINDOWS\System32" -r "<source CD>\sources\boot.wim" "2\Windows\System32\wimserv.exe"
- Apply (check before!) registry changes: http://nativeex.boot-land.net/Programs/WimCaptEx/wimmount.zip
- Download the WimCaptEx package and extract the appropriate 32 / 64 bit version as WimCaptEx.exe